Business owners have a common goal: to increase sales and generate leads. Direct-response marketing is a way to encourage customers to take a particular action, such as signing up for a newsletter or buying a product. These campaigns are sometimes called traffic-generating or lead-generating campaign and there are best practices for setting them up in Google Ads.
Traffic-generating and lead-generating campaigns are the goals
- Encourage customers to make a purchase.
- You can generate leads by collecting contact information through a sign up page.
- To increase traffic to your site, you will be able to distribute information.
Where should your campaigns be run?
We recommend that you use both the Google Search Network as well as the Google Display Network keywords-targeted campaigns. Here’s why:
- Google Search Network Your ads may appear in Google search results. Set bids and select keywords that are relevant to your business. Your ad will appear when people search for the keyword you have chosen.
- Search Partners Google Ads gives you the option to have your ads show up on search engines other than Google. These sites can bring additional quality traffic to your company and help you to generate leads. These Search Partner properties can show your ads next to search results.
- Google Display Network To direct your advertising campaign towards pages that are thematically related to your message, you can use context targeting on Google Display Network. Contextual targeting matches your keywords to relevant pages on the Internet. We can then connect your message with customers who are more likely to be interested by your products and services.
Here are some things you need to know about bidding, placement targeting, and ad formats
- Placement targeting This type of advertising allows you to choose and select “placements”, which are specific sites or sections of websites within the Google Display Network that you can run your ads. You can choose sites to target based on specific topics, the target audience or your branding criteria. Display Planner can help you get ideas.
- Ad formats You will want to connect your target audience with your main product/service through traffic-generating or lead-generating campaigns. Text ads should have a clear, strong call to action. Rich-media ads formats, such as image or video ads, can also be used to help convey your message.
- Bid strategy We recommend cost-per-click bidding to target both contextual and placement campaigns as the primary goal of any traffic-generation or lead-generation campaign.
How do you measure effectiveness?
To determine if your campaign is a success, you can measure several things. Conversion Tracking is a free tool that allows you to track your conversions. Once you have it set up, you will be able monitor important metrics such as conversion rate, cost per conversion and number of conversions. You can also track data from landing pages and keywords.